Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Silhouettes

 by
Armand Cabrera

I like working on silhouettes as a purely abstract exercise. They're great to do when I don't want to draw something specific. I just make shapes and once I have a page of them I go back and pull what I see out of them like a Rorschach test. I refine them with the eraser tool  as they take shape in my mind.

With this set I liked the one on the upper left and had an idea for it immediately. I saw this pastoral scene right at sunset with these terrifying things in the air just as it was getting dark.


sunset patrol                                                                  digital



I isolated my design and started to flesh it out giving it some form. I then created a background for it from my own reference. This was one of those images that was fully realized in my mind once I saw the shape and it made the concept painting go very quickly.






2 comments:

  1. Sunset patrol is quietly cool. Normal afternoon, then the alien wathc passes by with a low base buzz......
    Love the atmosphere and disquiet this evokes.

    DId you once study at Associates in Art?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. No, mostly self taught. Took some week long workshops from people who's work I admired and then lots of self directed practice.

    ReplyDelete